Sunday, May 16, 2010


The first completed squad. There will have to be a few changes though.
First on the list is figuring out how I'm going to mount 9 men in a pair of vehicles listed as accomodating 1+3. No matter what I can't find a way (outside of converting them to a Stryker unit) to fit them in less than two vehicles, (that requires one of the vehicles to be a transport HMMWV) and using three vehicles means that either the fire teams are broken up unevenly (and each vehicle possibly having a dedicated driver) or each fire team completely fills one M1025 each and the Squad Leader drives himself, which doesn't seem right.

Second matter is that of the sculpt I'm using for the SL himself. Though it isn't terribly appearant from the photo I think my chosen SL figure bears too much of a resemblance to Captain Dave 'Captain America' McGraw from HBO's series "Generation Kill". This leads me to think he might be better suited to scenarios where he can be placed as the leader of incompetent/demoralized contractors or weekend warriors awaiting rescue or relief (not intending to comment on anyone, more that it seems like there is always a group of badly led/supplied/trained troops or wannabes getting pinned down or lost when the main cast of a military drama program needs something heroic looking to do and the lasting impression I have of that character* is that he would be perfect for that role). The alternative I had selected from the QRF US Infantry Command set seems inappropriate now that I've painted him as well; the lack of a pack, the way his rifle is slung on his back and the way he is holding what looks like a compass and a dispatch case makes me think he is more suited to commissioned rank as well.


*I don't mean to cast any aspersions on the REAL Capt. Dave McGraw, I have never met the man and have no knowledge of him. The TV character based on him though makes me want to punch things though.

No comments:

Post a Comment